This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad' ActiveX component can't create object /HomelidaysSessionServiceInit.asp, line 19

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:13 AM
So after getting it installed and following the steps to use it in Classic I keep getting this error.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'

ActiveX component can't create object

/HomelidaysSessionServiceInit.asp, line 19

I've checked for issues with permissions and enabling active x and checked procmon but I can't figure it out. Some articles suggest that active x support may no longer be supported at all except in Firefox. I'm using Chrome but have tried in IE with the same result.
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2016 at 2:23 PM
Hello,

This error says that your ASP page cannot instanicate the AspSessionService.AspSession COM component when the ASP code is doing the

Set Session = Server.CreateObject("AspSessionService.AspSession")

I would check the "Enable 32-bit applications" option of the IIS application pool and the type of HomelidaysSessionService you are using (x64 or not).
The choice between 32 bits vs 64 bits of HomeidaysSessionsService depends on the w3wp.exe beeing 32 or 64 bits:
  • If your application pool is running inside a 32 bits process (i.e "Enable 32-bit applications" is set to true), you should install the 32 bit version of HomelidaysSessionService.
  • If your application pool is running inside a 64 bits process (i.e "Enable 32-bit applications" is set to false), you should install the 64bit version of HomelidaysSessionService.
While you are checking this I am trying to configure my Windows Server 2012 x64 with a 64 bit w3wp.exe to support you if you have other issues (as I said in an other thread, it's a long time ago I run this code)

I hope this helps
Marked as answer by df23 on 7/20/2016 at 8:29 PM
Coordinator
Jul 20, 2016 at 3:14 PM
Ok I am all setup for Classic ASP on a production box (no dev Tools isntalled):
  • Windows server 2012 x64
  • 64 bits w3wp.exe (i.e "Enable 32-bit applications" is set to false)
  • Homelidays Session Service x64 1.0.12 downloaded from this site.
  • SQL Server 2014 (temdb) with SQL authentication
I was able to successfully execute a test ASP page that write and read the Session and I can see the dbo.Session table in the temp db.

Please let me know if you are still stuck and please give me détails of your configuration.

Yanal
Jul 21, 2016 at 2:47 AM
Hi Yanal,

I tried what you suggested with the x86 as I do indeed have 32bit enabled in the app pool, and it's worked, well to a point at least, I'll raise a separate issue for this next thing.

Thank again!